Monday, October 29, 2012

Smart Mouth or Learning??

Soo my three year old is a very verbal child.. Lately, he has started talking back which is crazy. I thought this started at 5 or 6 so this is very unexpected.

Sometimes he is talking back and needs to be put in check but other times he is just saying the solution to the problem at hand.
Example, of needing to be checked. I say "Eat your food and then have some juice." He says "Mom I want drink and then to eat". I say "No eat more then drink" He says "NOooo drink." This can go on all night. I feel that this needs to stop at the first answer.. what a mom or dad says has to be respected or else the roles will be reserved and then I see long term problems.

Example, of a valid answer / solution to a problem. I say "You are spilling rice all over the floor and I just finished vacuuming the floor." He says "Mom you can just vacuum again." Now this seems like a smart mouth answer but it is true if the floor is dirty you can just vacuum it again. Which happens more often then I would like..lol.

So this is a time where a parent has to take a step back and remember they are speaking to a child, no matter the age of the child, and not a grown up. He is giving me a logically solution to a problem that I gave him. This is what all the childrens programs are teaching the kids, problem solving. Since we are used to dealing with adults being rude or dicky you first react is to get upset, or at least mine is. You have to take a step back and say OK he doesn't know he is hurting my feelings or treating me as if I have nothing better to do then to vacuum after every meal, so you have to explain it to them.

Looking at things from another person's point of view is a hard task that some people never learn but at this age it is not possible yet. Child psychology proves this fact.

So take your time to think before you punish or yell at your little smart kid. This is not easy but after your done yelling at think about what happened later you will feel bad. So stop and listen and then explain and explain. Use some show examples if that helps, I use them all the time and sing songs.

and remember we want our children to use their words and not hit and yell so you know what we have to do the same.. lead by example..

No comments:

Post a Comment